From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 11:00:28 -0500
I'm surprised no one jumped on this.

> I am trying to learn more about Hockey, but I am a little concerned about
> the violence during the games. Is the fighting a necessary part of the
> game,
> or should it be controlled better? Do the layers get penalties every time
> they fight? Do the fans only go to see a "good fight" or to actually watch
> the game?

You must be a fan of pro hockey.  College hockey put the clamps on fighting
some time ago.  Fighting is a 5 min penalty with game DQ and an automatic DQ
for the next game the team plays.  Hence, virtually no fighting.  Now there
is plenty of "roughing" some of which is really fighting (or ought to be
called that), but dropping the mitts to square off is pretty rare.  Hence,
to answer your question, no - fighting is not necessary, nor does it do
anything for the true fan.  In the pro game, I would equate fighting to a
crash at a car race - everyone watches with interest, but very few people
show up just to watch a crash.  There is always demolition derbies for them.
The pros would do well to emulate the college game (in all aspects, I might
suggest, not just this one).  Go see a college game next season - its more
exciting than the pro game (IMO).

Tom Rowe                                          [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners Up 92 & 98