From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 23:46:25 -0500
Date sent:              Wed, 19 May 1999 16:24:09 -0700
Send reply to:          me <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   me <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                interesting article on the ncaa and student-athlete
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> hockey is nowhere mentioned in this article, but it's a topic that appears here
> regularly...
>
> http://espn.go.com/gen/columns/farrey/01264617.html

It seems to me that should Mr. Farrey's fears/suppositions/what-have-
you come to pass, the natural solution for Division 1 hockey (if they
like the status quo) is to form their own governing body to assume the
NCAA's functions.  IANAL, but that would hardly be a monopoly to the
extent that the NCAA is in that as governing only the D1 programs,
there would be a lot outside in D2 and D3, and a program that did not
care to abide by the rules should be able to survive reasonably well
outside.  I wouldn't be surprised if other sports were to look into it
in the same event, but I should think that the higher the participation
(and, I should think, visibility of the sport), the more likely it is
that legal problems might arise.

--
 Craig Powers                   NU ChE class of '98
 [log in to unmask]       http://lynx.neu.edu/home/httpd/c/cpowers

"Good..bad....I'm the guy with the gun." -- "Ash" in *Army of Darkness*