From:
ANDREW COLL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 90 16:53:00 EST
  Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Before I forget -- I've been asked by some people who sat near me at last
>weekend's games to post a question to the list.  We were talking about
>hockey fundraisers (bake sales, shoot-the-puck-through-the-tiny-hole, and so
>forth), and somebody came up with the idea of Zamboni rides.  So what do
>people think?  Would you buy a raffle ticket for a Zamboni ride?  Or has
>this been done, and if so, how successful was it?  Just curious.  Me, I'd be
>interested in DRIVING the thing, but I imagine you need a Zamboni license or
>some such...

I thought driving the Zamboni was a neat idea as well, so I started talking
with our rink driver about the thing, you know what exactly it does, how it
does it, how long has he been driving them and so on.  Turns out, our Zamboni
has for its powerplant...  get this...  a VW bug motor!  So much for neck
snapping speed and record setting time trial laps around the rink.  In the same
conversation I found out that while our team was away at the Brockport
Tournament (in Ohio I think) the Zamboni driver made a critical judgment error
I guess and crashed through the boards at the end of the rink; taking the net
with him.  There was a 45 min delay while the rink was repaired. Anyone else
have any Zamboni accident stories?  I wonder how much collision and
comprehensive run on a Zamboni?

Andrew Coll       [log in to unmask]