From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:19:00 EST
Set :-) = ON...

Derek Gordon <[log in to unmask]> writes...

>October 17th, 1997 Colgate 2 Michigan 1
>This was Michigan=92s first home loss in two years.
>Is Michigan slipping=?

Of course Michigan is slipping, didn't you get the memo?
I thought it was delivered to every college hockey fan in
the country in Milwaukee, when the Morrison class played
their last game for the maize and blue.

>November 11th, 1997  Northern Michigan 1 Michigan 0
>This was Michigan first goal-less game in nearly three years.

Actually, it was less than two years since Western Mich
dumped the Wolverines, 5-0, in Kalamazoo.

>Michigan=92s awesome offense shut out?

Awesome offense?  You must be confusing the 1997-98
Wolverines with a former version.  UM averages just over
3.5 goals a game and were held to three goals or less in
20 of 42 games so far.

>What does all this mean?  Michigan can be beaten.

Given that Michigan has never posted an undefeated hockey
season, I'd say that this is true of every season.

>Michigan=92s so called =93home ice advantaged=94
>isn=92t much of one.

True, Michigan's home record isn't as gaudy as it has been
in recent years. but UM is still 16-4-0 (.800) at Yost.  That's
not too far behind MSU's record at Munn, 17-2-4 (.826).

>Michigan fans have the stupidest chan=ts

Maybe...

>the most bandwagon fans

Definitely...

>and one of the worst buildings in the country.

Now you've declared war!  We have the worst Zambonis
in the country, but Yost is a shrine.  You should bow down
before entering it.

Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]> writes...
>But I think top to bottom the WCHA teams would draw
>better overall from Omaha's Lancer and true hockey fan
>base, since I could see more of them going to a Mankato
>St or Minnesota-Duluth over a Ferris State or Northern
>Michigan (no offense, but the name recognition just ain't there).

That's interesting, given that Northern Michigan has a
national championship in this decade (and was recently
in the WCHA...the "name recognition" conference).

One of my all-time favorites (hockey player and person)
is former Wolverine Chris Gordon, who is also a former
Omaha Lancer.  So, it is possible for the Lancers to trickle
into the CCHA.

Go Blue!

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])