From:
RobertThomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RobertThomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:56:21 -0500
Robb Newman wrote:

> Here's my interpretation of the way it works on DirecTV:
>
> I subscribe to the regional sports network package (I got to watch nearly
> every conference tourney game - incredible!), so I already get several
> channels that might be broadcasting the games (such as MSC).  In addition,
> there are a couple of DirecTV channels that you can go to and pay-per-view
> all 8 regional games.  Personally, I'm going to wait until the games come
> on, and see which, if any, I already get with the RSN package - blackouts
> are always a last-minute possibility.  If, at game time, I'm not satisfied
> with the selection of games that I get, I click a couple of buttons on my
> remote control, and viola, I get all 8 games with no possibility of
> blackouts, and my next DirecTV bill is $30 higher.
>
> I haven't scanned ahead in the program guide to see which RSN's claim that
> they are broadcasting the Regionals, but it's really irrelevant - you won't
> know which games you actually get until game time, due to blackouts.
>
> It sure beats the $^%# out of last year - at WORST CASE this year, I have
> to pay $3.75 per game to see every game.  Last year, we were running around
> like crazy trying to find a sports bar with an analog satellite after we
> found out AT GAME TIME that the RSN's were blacked out.
>
> If this PPV thing works as advertised, I say kudos to the NC$$ for a job
> well done.  If it doesn't work as advertised.......

As I recall a previous post to this list; all Regional Sports Networks will be
blacked out as far as DirectTV subscribers were concerned. I took that to mean
the only way for me to watch the Quarterfinals was to purchase the NCAA add-on
package for an additional $30.00 (additional because I already purchased the
RSNs).