From:
Robb Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:28:20 -0500
Here's my interpretation of the way it works on DirecTV:

I subscribe to the regional sports network package (I got to watch nearly
every conference tourney game - incredible!), so I already get several
channels that might be broadcasting the games (such as MSC).  In addition,
there are a couple of DirecTV channels that you can go to and pay-per-view
all 8 regional games.  Personally, I'm going to wait until the games come
on, and see which, if any, I already get with the RSN package - blackouts
are always a last-minute possibility.  If, at game time, I'm not satisfied
with the selection of games that I get, I click a couple of buttons on my
remote control, and viola, I get all 8 games with no possibility of
blackouts, and my next DirecTV bill is $30 higher.

I haven't scanned ahead in the program guide to see which RSN's claim that
they are broadcasting the Regionals, but it's really irrelevant - you won't
know which games you actually get until game time, due to blackouts.

It sure beats the $^%# out of last year - at WORST CASE this year, I have
to pay $3.75 per game to see every game.  Last year, we were running around
like crazy trying to find a sports bar with an analog satellite after we
found out AT GAME TIME that the RSN's were blacked out.

If this PPV thing works as advertised, I say kudos to the NC$$ for a job
well done.  If it doesn't work as advertised.......

Robb Newman