From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 16:33:12 -0700
>No, I didn't tape the game, though if someone local did I'd be curious to
>see the tape, and not because I was on-camera - so that I can get another
>look at the after-the-whistle Clarkson shot that hit Schafer in the head,
>if the camera actually caught it.  I'm not so sure about the "apparently on
>a ricochet off the glass" part.  I'm thoroughly appalled that no penalty
>got called on that, and I'm glad Schafer is pretty much okay.

        My mother says your brother taped the game.  I don't think the
shot into the bench got captured on camera, since the commentators
were utterly baffled as to what had happened, and there was certainly
ample time for someone to dig up a replay.  They asked Ryan Moynihan
about it during the second intermission, and he said he didn't see it,
but described what other players had told him.  I didn't grasp at the
time that the shot into the bench occurred after the whistle, but
several things make more sense that way.  For one thing, it explains
why the whistle that preceded the incident was not for the puck going
out of play, but for a penalty call.  For another, Moynihan's comment
about how he hoped it was unintentional.  I think what Moynihan said
he was told was that the puck ricocheted off the glass *inside* the
bench area, which is part of the reason it caught Schafer by surprise.

        BTW, are we sure there wasn't a penalty called for that?  I
haven't seen a box score with penalties, but as I recall the sequence,
there were coincidental minors, then a penalty on Cornell less then a
minute later.  All three of those penalties were about a minute and a
half over when Clarkson took another penalty and Schafer got hit.
They showed the scoreboard afterwards, and there were two penalties
for each team (all they had room for).  I believe the times remaining
were about 0:23 and 0:34 for Cornell and about 0:23 and 2:00 for
Clarkson.  Now, if all that is right, what should have happened was
about 23 seconds of 3-on-3, followed by about 11 seconds of 4-on-4,
followed by a Cornell power play.  And yet, with subsequent penalties
called, Cornell managed to eventually go on the 5-on-3, and score the
go-ahead goal.  This would make sense if there were *two* Clarkson
penalties called--perhaps the initial one followed by a delay of game
or unsportsmanlike conduct--since then we would have had a 3-on-3 for
about 23 seconds, at which point the coincidentals would expire and
the extra Clarkson penalty would start, giving Cornell a 4-on-3, which
would soon become a 5-on-3.  Make sense?  So, does anyone have a full
box or recall what penalties were called at the long stoppage?

                                         John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     Official Scorer/PA Announcer
                                        U of Utah Ice Hockey Club
                      <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/joe.html>