From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:14:27 -0500
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> John Edwards writes:
>
> >On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Paul Gentile wrote:
>
> >> Next year's "preseason Ice Breaker Invitational, a
> >> four-team exhibition tournament" will be hosted by
> >            ^^^^^^^^^^
> >Good to see that they got that straightened out ahead of time. :-)
>
>         Although not in the way I'd expected.  Last I heard, the NCAA
> was trying to have future Ice Breakers count as regular (if exempt)
> non-conference games.  I'm guessing the teams didn't go for it.

HE Commissioner Joe Bertagna announced publicly a few weeks ago (during
the Lowell press conference for the AWCHA women's championship game and
the HE-ECAC MSG tourney) that the Ice Breaker would count next season
(i.e. not be exhibition).  He was emphatic about this.  And as we know,
the NCAA wishes it to count too and I believe it has said that from now
on it will.

My guess is that the article by Greg Wong, which Paul is quoting, was
incorrect in its reference to the tourney's status.  That is, the games
will count towards NCAA selection and so on.  They will not be factored
in towards the 34 game limit.