From:
Robb Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 09:36:51 -0500
My best guess is that any Ivy team would have to get a waiver from the Ivy
League to let any winter sports team participate in anything official
before October 15th (the official start of the Ivy winter sports season).
 I suspect that Cornell was invited, told the Icebreaker, "We'll have to
get back to you after we petition the Ivy League," and the Icebreaker told
them, "Don't bother - we need to know right now so that we can start
promoting/marketing the tournament, so we'll just get BC."

IF (big IF) that's the way it went down, I have three gripes:

1.  Why didn't the 6 Ivy teams discuss this situation with the League ahead
of time?  It's not like it's a surprise that an Ivy was eventually going to
be invited....

2.  Why didn't the Icebreaker invite Colgate or RPI (Clarkson went last
year)?  Those teams don't have the Ivy burden and are doing even better
than Cornell right now.

3.  <insert favorite grumble about $$$ and the fact that marketing runs
everything>