From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 90 18:52:29 EST
    I edited some of this to get rid of unnecessary stuff (like recaps
    of the PC-RPI game in 5 different places) as I typed it in.

    Before continuing with this, a quick note: I learned today of some
    of the nonleague games we (Merrimack) will be playing next year -
    home-and-home with RPI, two at Western Michigan, and two at Notre
    Dame.  If you are reading this, Coach Schafer, I have been told that
    the two-game set in South Bend will be played on Friday night and
    Sunday afternoon (1991) because there is an ND football game with
    Southern Cal on Saturday - is this correct?

    On to the release - thanks to Kathy Walsh.  I'll try to get this out
    as often as I can, without the fluff.   Maybe I can talk to Kathy
    about getting it online.

================Hockey East Newsletter #2   Monday, November 5, 1990=========
PROVIDENCE CAPTURES CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE IN US AIR HOCKEY CLASSIC TOURNAMENT
-Friars remain unbeaten through first four games this season-

    Senior Lyle Wildgoose notched his first hat trick of the season as the
Friars defeated Ottawa, 8-3, in opening round play of the US Air Hockey
Classic Friday night in Providence.  Wildgoose added two more, including
the game winner, at 8:03 of the third overtime, as the Friars defeated RPI
6-5 in the first-ever regular season tournament at Schneider Arena.
Freshman goalie Mike Heinke made 47 saves, including 14 in overtime.

    Maine improved their record to 3-1-0 with a weekend sweep of Denver in
Colorado.  Junior Scott Pellerin led the Black Bears offensively with two
goals and three assists, including an unassisted game winning goal at 2:34
of overtime on Saturday.

    UNH also posted a weekend sweep, defeating Air Force Academy, 6-2 and
8-3, in Colorado.  Senior Domenic Amodeo collected a hat trick on Saturday,
adding to his two assists from the night before, to lead the Wildcat offense.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK

    ...is Providence co-captain Lyle Wildgoose (see details above).  Wildgoose
was named MVP of the US Air tournament.

    Other nominees: Mark Dennehy (Boston College - 2-1--3 in 5-1 win over
Vermont), Scott Pellerin (Maine - 2-3--5 in two wins at Denver), Howie
Rosenblatt (Merrimack - 4-1--5 in split with Western Michigan), and
Domenic Amodeo (New Hampshire - 3-2--5 in two wins at Air Force).

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK

    ...for the second consecutive week is Providence goalie Mike Heinke.  He
made 47 stops, including 14 in the three overtime periods, as the Friars
defeated RPI 6-5.  The former Avon Old Farms standout made several spectacular
saves, including twice when he stopped RPI All-American Joe Juneau on
breakaways.

    Other nominees: Chris Imes (Maine - 2-1--3), Rob Atkinson (Merrimack -
2-2--4), and Jeff Levy (New Hampshire; sorry no details).

GOALTENDING LEADERS (all stats are overall)

Name, class, school         W-L-T  GP   Min Svs Pct    GA   GAA
Garth Snow, jr, Maine       2-0-0   2   122 24  .828    5   2.45
Mike Heinke, fr, Prov       2-0-0   2   143 79  .919    7   2.94
Brad Mullahy, so, Prov      2-0-0   2   120 37  .860    6   3.00
Pat Morrison, sr, UNH       2-0-0   2   120 20  .833    6   3.00
Yannick Gosselin, so, Merr  1-0-0   1    60 24  .889    3   3.00
Jeff Levy, fr, UNH          1-0-0   1    60 44  .936    3   3.00
Mike Dunham, fr, Maine      1-1-0   2   120 53  .869    8   4.00
Mike Doneghey, so, Merr     0-0-1   2   108 46  .821   10   5.56

SCORING LEADERS (all stats are overall)

Name, class, pos, school       GP   G   A  Pts  Pen/Min
Dan Gravelle, so, c, Merr       3   3   6   9   1/2
Rob Gaudreau, jr, rw, PC        4   3   6   9   1/2
Jean-Yves Roy, jr, rw, Maine    4   4   4   8   1/2
Brendan Flynn, sr, lw, Low      4   3   5   8   4/16
Steve Ablitt, sr, rw, Low       4   2   6   8   8/32
Jim Montgomery, so, rw, Maine   4   2   6   8   1/2
Howie Rosenblatt, sr, rw, Merr  3   5   2   7   5/10
Rob Atkinson, fr, lw, Merr      3   3   4   7   2/4
Martin Robitaille, jr, c, Maine 4   3   4   7   0/0 *
Shane Henry, fr, c, Low         4   2   5   7   1/2
Agostino Casale, jr, lw, Merr   3   2   4   6   0/0
Scott Pellerin, jr, lw, Maine   4   2   4   6   2/4
Bob Cowan, so, c, Prov          4   1   5   6   2/4

[* - On the release Robitaille was listed as being from Merrimack,
    not Maine, which prompted our new SID Jim Seavey to phone
    other SIDs and ask them if they had heard that Robitaille had
    transferred to Merrimack over the weekend.  That started up
    a whole discussion about "what if trading were allowed in
    college hockey?" - mike]

[In case anyone is wondering, please note that BC has only played one
 game and BU has played 2.]

OTHER NOTES

    Merrimack sophomore Dan Gravelle has tripled his career point output
in just three games this season.  The center leads Merrimack with 3 goals
and 6 assists in 3 games to date this season.  He came into the year with
two goals and an assist for three points.

    The New Hampshire Wildcats, playing a two-game series at Air Force,
received notification of Coach Kullen's death just after the team breakfast
on Saturday morning.  In a fitting tribute to their head coach, the team
spent the remainder of Saturday morning at the famed Cadet Chapel, on the
Air Force Academy campus.

    New Hampshire's 3-0 start is the team's best since the 1969-70 season,
and the two-game sweep was the Wildcats' first since the 1984-85 season
when they took two at Northern Michigan.

    Through three games this season, EVERY player who has seen action for
New Hampshire (except goalie Pat Morrison) has collected at least a point.

    Providence junior Rob Gaudreau became the 31st player in school history
to reach the 100 point plateau with three assists in the 8-3 win against
Ottawa.  He added two more assists in Saturday's 6-5 3-ot win to move into
a tie for 26th on the Friars' all-time scoring list with 104 points
(51-53 in 78 games).

    The Friars' 4-0 start equals last season's quick start of four in a row.
The last time PC won five in a row to start the season was in 1957-58, when
they finished with an 11-11-0 season.