From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 90 15:14:35 EST
Saturday was a sad day for college hockey.  UNH coach Bob Kullen died
Saturday morning, apparently from complications relating to his
anti-rejection medication for his heart transplant.  Kullen, you may
remember, had a heart transplant in 1987 to combat a rare blood
disorder that had ravaged his own heart.  Since then, he had made an
amazing comback, coaching the 89-90 Wildcats to the Hockey East
semifinals and was named NCAA (I think) coach of the year.  More recently,
he had temporarily given up the head coaching job to assistant Dick Umile
when Kullen found he wasn't strong enough and needed a rest.  That was just
a few weeks ago, but Kully never made it back.

I was at UNH Saturday for the UNH-Villanova football game, and the
mood was somber.  I'm not sure, but I would guess that the UNH hockey
team did not play Saturday night at Air Force.  As one who knew Kully (as a
fellow devoted golfer), I can say he will be greatly missed.  You won't
find a more courageous guy anywhere.  My heart goes out to his family and
friends, especially his wife Cathy.
Chris Craig                 Attention all planets of the Solar Federation,
[log in to unmask]                          We have assumed control...
...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!crcraig   MIT-Project Athena, Cambridge, MA 02139