From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 12:29:15 -0400
> From: IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "Andrew Weise"    26-JAN-1997 23:03
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone and everyone out there who has seen
> games in places like Walker Arena, Appleton Arena (SLU), and Lynah
> Rink (Cornell) and compare their facilities to Achilles Rink. I'll
> bet they will all see a little bit of their own in Achilles.

Well, since you asked, I will comment.  I attended the SLU-Clarkson games at
Walker while I was a student at SLU (73-77).  Walker was brutal.  It was loud
and the fans obnoxious.  I haven't been to Cheels but I am sure that it can't
come close in atmosphere.

I don't remember Appleton being as loud as Walker but in my opinion there is
no better hockey arena.  I love the atmosphere at Appleton.  The wooden
benches are so much nicer IMO than cement and plastic.  There has been
remodeling at Appleton but I hope they never change wooden benches and the
feel of the arena.

I was in Lynah for only one game in 1974 and I don't remember it well.

At first I didn't think much of Achilles Rink.  True, the lobby is small and
the bathrooms are extremely limited but once inside the rink area it isn't
that bad.  I think that the atmosphere is nice.  Could something be done to
add seats at the ends and improve the aisles?  I didn't make it to Achilles
this year but over the years the atmosphere does seem to be improving.  The
Union fans really seem to behind their team and make it known.

> My word - DON'T LOSE THIS ATMOSPHERE. Speaking from only two years
> of experience, this is probably one of the more intimidating places
> to play in the ECAC. When I first walked into Achilles, I felt (just
> a little bit, of course) like I was back in Walker Arena. I wished
> that type of atmosphere again. I think I found it.

I agree.  Atmosphere is important.  If given a choice I would much rather go
to a game at Appleton than at any other rink.  On the bottom of my list would
be the new rinks at BC, UNH, etc.  True, there are lots of seats and
bathrooms are large but you are too far removed from the ice and the action.
They seem just too big for me.  A couple of weekends ago, I attended SLU games
at UNH and UMass Lowell.  The electricity seemed higher at Lowell.  Even with
my obstructed view at Lowell I felt more in the game.  The smaller arena gives
an intimate feeling that is lost at UNH.  I like feeling like I am almost on
the ice with the team and not high up in some perch with the pigeons.

Union is one of the smaller ECAC teams.  Like SLU and Clarkson they have a
rather small student body.  Is it necessary for the smaller schools to give
up their small school feel and have the huge arena?    I realize that I am
not taking money into account here but I would prefer to keep the small
arenas with the big hearts.

Sara
SLU '77
Let's go SAINTS!!!!