From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 13:26:47 -0500
We've all heard the talk in the past week about the possibilities
of Union College playing in a new rink and abandoning Achilles Rink
as their home ice. I just wanted to add my comments for the record....

At the beginning of all of this talk, I felt that this might not
be a bad thing for Union's hockey program. A new rink could certainly
get the community involved, possibly bring more money into their
program, maybe attract potential recruits, and even help the Schenectady
Youth Hockey Association. All in all, the city of Schenectady would
become more involved in their hockey roots.

However, what I didn't take into consideration was the feelings of the
Union College students, alumni, and current hockey players. Everyone
wants to keep the home ice in Achilles Rink. I originally thought
that maybe everyone should consider, "Hey, we can have a better-looking
arena, more comfortable seats, and a really gorgeous atmosphere!" What
I also didn't take into consideration was my OWN hockey roots.

I'm not a hockey player (I can't even skate well!!), but I'm a huge
hockey FAN. While a student at SUNY Potsdam for 4 years, I was a
frequent attendant at Clarkson hockey games. During my freshman and
sophomore years at Potsdam, Clarkson played in a place called
Walker Arena. These were the final two years they ever played there.

For those who don't know Walker, let me tell you a little bit about it.
Walker Arena was a barn. I believe the capacity was no more than
1,500 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). On the sides, there were 4
rows of bleachers. On the ends, there were about 10 rows. Behind the
sides, people leaned against the wall. There were railings behind
the rows, in which people sat on to watch the game. The place was
packed and it was LOUD. It was uncomfortable at times, and it was
difficult to see the entire ice from some places. But, the best part
about Walker was the fans. Clarkson played some classics (and I mean
CLASSICS!!) in that arena. Students, alumni, and residents of Potsdam
crowded the arena and made it impossible for visiting teams to enjoy
themselves. It had to be intimidating for any visitor to play in
there.

During their final year at Walker, Clarkson went 18-0-1. The only
blemish was the best game I have ever seen (and probably the most
horribly-officiated) up to that time, where Clarkson and Cornell
skated to an incredible 2-2 overtime tie. Each game that final year
was loud and fun. The atmosphere was unbeatable. Watching a classic
arena come to its end while watching great college hockey.... there
could have been nothing better. The final game ever hosted by Walker
Arena was definitely the best game I have ever seen. It was the NCAA
tourney (before they had neutral sites) first round. Clarkson hosted
Wisconsin. It was hard-hitting, back & forth, offensive (and even
defensive - if that's possible), and exciting. Clarkson scored three
goals in the third period (the go-ahead with about 2 minutes left) to
win the greatest game (IMO) I have ever seen at Walker.

If you've gotten to this point in my message, you should be
congratulated. My point is this: The atmosphere at Achilles is
absolutely FABULOUS. It rivals the feeling I get when I think of
Walker Arena. Clarkson played many great years in Walker Arena.
Union has many great years to come at Achilles. If you have any
doubts about saving Achilles, all you have to do is go to a big
game there. If you have any doubts about saving Achilles, talk to
anyone who was at the RPI-Union game last night. They will tell you
that the atmosphere was better than anything they have ever experienced
(hockey-wise, that is). You can't get this at Houston Fieldhouse. You
can't get this at the Knick, er, I mean Pepsi Arena. I want to see
RPI come to Achilles again next year and many years to come.

I'm probably among many when I say that I wish I could talk to Union
College President Roger Hull face to face and tell him to go to a
game at Achilles before he makes a decision. I know the final word
is not up to him, but before the final word is announced, he should
go to a game at Achilles. He should see for himself what type of
atmosphere Achilles gives to Union and their visitors during each game.

My mind was changed last night. All it took was the signs put up at
the beginning of the game. The outpouring of love for the rink that
was shown last night was very intense and very heart-felt. The game
itself was the clincher as far as changing my mind was concerned.

I'd like to hear from anyone and everyone out there who has seen
games in places like Walker Arena, Appleton Arena (SLU), and Lynah
Rink (Cornell) and compare their facilities to Achilles Rink. I'll
bet they will all see a little bit of their own in Achilles.

My word - DON'T LOSE THIS ATMOSPHERE. Speaking from only two years
of experience, this is probably one of the more intimidating places
to play in the ECAC. When I first walked into Achilles, I felt (just
a little bit, of course) like I was back in Walker Arena. I wished
that type of atmosphere again. I think I found it.

Save Achilles.....

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93
Union College '95