From:
"J. Michael Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 1996 13:03:58 -0500
Geoff Howell wrote:

> 9) Boy, I love that Hobey Baker candidate from Michigan -- John Madden.\

He may not be the best player in college hockey, but I have a hard time
seeing anyone else claim the role of most exciting.  That he scores so many
short-handed goals is no fluke.  He never stops moving and gets down into a
low crouch, spreading his arms seemingly from one side board to the other.
 Berenson uses an agressive two-man forecheck on the penalty kill, relying on
pure speed to keep from getting burned.  It seems to work, and having someone
in the power-play unit's breezers really seems to disconcert them trying to
get the puck out from behind their own net.  Several times, I've watched
Madden simply walk in and take the puck off of someone's stick as they tried
to figure out where to go next.

>  15) I haven't seen as much body contact going on this year, particularly
in
>  the east, but one Erik Rasmussen shift makes up for all the other
no-hitters.

Rass really does throw his weight around, doesn't he?  Actually, though, the
Gophers as a whole are doing this a lot more this year.  Wyatt Smith, Mike
Anderson, Bill Kohn and Ben Clymer are stepping in very aggressively.  It is
a bit worrisome that this has led to more penalty minutes (though much of
that comes from misconducts, not that I'm pleased by THAT fact).  This is the
way togo for this team, though.  Getting pushed around was one of Minnesota's
weaknesses in recent years.

J. Michael Neal