From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 02:36:42 -0400
> > Tom Mees was one of the original ESPN sportscasters... he also
called most of the >network's college hockey telecasts, including
many of the NCAA DivI championship
> > games that ESPN has aired.

I feel awful about this --- Mees was never the greatest play-by-play
man (though obviously irrelevant), but the bottom line, Mees gave
more of a damn about the sport of hockey -- in its entirety -- than
anyone on American television.

At a time when ESPN had lost the NHL deal to SportsChannel, and the
NCAA Final was the ONLY hockey on ESPN at all, Mees was there
championing the cause --- and in the background, he kept up his
lobbying for the return of hockey when no one else at ESPN cared.
All the while, he stayed loyal to ESPN and waited for hockey to
return.

I am sorry I never got a chance to meet him.  We obviously can't all
feel as badly as those who were his friends and family, but it
saddens me nonetheless.

Mees first job was as sports director at WILM in Wilmington, Delaware
--- which is where my wife now works.  I've known the sports director
there now since we were in Ithaca together.  Mees was a vociferous
booster of Delaware Blue Hen sports until his last day. So it surely
will continue to hit home around here over the next couple of days.

On a related note -- I would be much obliged if anyone knew the best
way to contact Bob Norton?

AW