From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 90 00:39:04 EDT
 Score from action tonight at Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis:
    Minnesota 7, Notre Dame 2

 Notre Dame has an up-and-coming young team, with only two seniors and seven
 juniors listed on the roster that appeared in the game program. The Fighting
 Irish skated very competitively with the Gophers. In the second period they
 came back from a 3-0 deficit to cut the Minnesota lead to 3-2. A Gopher goal
 with 7 seconds to play in the period, however, put the lead out of reach. In
 the final 20 minutes the Gophers increased their lead and eventually won the
 game 7-2. Tomorrow the Irish depart for Fairbanks, Alaska, to play the Nanooks
 this weekend. Coach Ric Schafer should be proud of his team. They play a very
 classy style of hockey, and will soon be a force to be reckoned with.

 And, speaking of Ric Schafer, Carol White, my wife Paula, and I had the
 pleasure of meeting with him after the game. Ric's message is that Notre Dame
 is coming back. He hopes to continue the improvement of the Notre Dame hockey
 program, by increasing the number of scholarships from the present six, and
 developing fan interest at Notre Dame. Ric hopes to bring his team into the
 WCHA or CCHA in the near future.

 We wish the Fighting Irish good luck in Alaska and in the rest of the season.
 We hope to see them in Mariucci Arena again soon.

 Erik J. Biever     University of Minnesota      MMMMM   MMMMM
 St. Paul Campus Libraries    (612)625-9777       MM MM MM MM
 BITNET:   e-biev@uminn1                         MM   MMM   MM
 INTERNET: [log in to unmask]             MMMMM       MMMMM