From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 13:17:37 -0500
>With all this talk lately of the Ivy League Title, a bunch of us
>Cornell Fans were wondering what the mechanism is for awarding the
>title if there's a first place tie.

There is no tiebreaker -- the teams tied for first place would be declared
co-champions.

>Just to reiterate the point about the Ivy Title, As a friend said to
>me, "It would be nice to see a banner change".  I think that's the
>general sentiment of all the Cornell fans I've spoken with lately.
>The team has been pretty low over the last few years and this is just
>a symbol of the renewed Cornell team under Schafer, and hopefully a
>sign of more good things to come.

It's been ten years since the Cornell men's hockey team has hoisted a
banner of any kind (last one was the '86 ECAC tourney championship -- there
should be one up there from the team's appearance in the NC$$'s in '91, but
for some reason there isn't), so an Ivy title, however meaningless, would
be welcome.  Not as welcome as another ECAC banner, of course, but winning
the Ivies would at least be a symbolic achievement for a team which
finished LAST in the Ivies last year, for the second time in three years.

BTW, there are separate stats kept for scoring and goaltending leaders,
etc. for the Ivy League in hockey, and there are All-Ivy teams announced at
the end of the season, as well as Ivy Player and Rookie of the Year awards.
So there's still *some* kind of credence given to the "Ivy League" in
hockey, even though the ECAC is the far more important and recognized
conference.

Bill Fenwick