From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 12:08:34 -0500
Mike Machnik wrote:

>I believe that would be CW Post on Long Island.  From what I have heard, CW
>Post has a new (on-campus?) rink that is being used as the Islanders'
>training facility, and the university is interested in establishing a DivI
>hockey program.

Here I was trying to guess who it would be, and Hofstra was my first choice
since they are located within spitting distance of the Nassau Coliseum where
the Islanders play, they already have a nice relationship with another local
pro sports team, the Jets, who train there, and they have made big strides in
moving their sports programs up with their football team making the I-AA
playoffs in just their second year of eligibility, and they don't give out
scholarships.

CW Post caught me completely by surprise, but I had not realized they
built a new rink.  My sister is a recent alum of that school, and as an
athletic trainer major, she has close ties with the athletic dept.  I'll
have to see if she can give me any scoops.

A major Div. I hockey program on LI would be a big boost for college hockey.
Youth hockey is becoming bigger and bigger down there, and I believe the
interest is ripe for a program to start up.  With the ability to host a
major tournament or some big games at the Nassau Coliseum (with ticket
prices much cheaper than the outrageous prices the horrid Islanders charge),
it could be a real plus for college hockey.

BTW, Post is a Division II school, so the hockey team would be playing "up"
according to NCAA rules.

>The same would be true with Niagara and the Golden Horseshoe area.  Niagara
>seems like a program to keep an eye on.

I have always believed that the number one area with strong hockey interest
that does not have a Div. I college team is the Buffalo-Niagara area.  This
program should be very successful.  It has been rumored many times that the
Sabres never wanted Canisius to go full Div. I status for fear of the
competition (cheaper tickets, just as good entertainment).  This tells me
there is a market to be had.  Niagara should be very successful.

>I'm also curious about Canisius.  They've gotten quite a bit better in
>recent years and could be a candidate to go to full-time DivI.  But I am
<not sure what the climate is like at Canisius for such a move.

Well, I'm certainly not going to speak for Canisius, but I always got the
feeling that the administration there just does not care to see Canisius
move up.  For starters, they would have to build a rink.  They just could
not play in Nicholls Arena with a Div. I program.  It's a great facility for
the high school, but not for a bigtime college team.

>If the ECAC accepted both schools and kept its current schedule format,

The ECAC would be dumb not to take them in.  If HE gets Niagara and Post,
and then eventually UConn, they will become the Big East of the hockey world
in terms of marketing, media, and population centers of college hockey.

There was also mention of Villanova.  I doubt it.  They seem to downplay
sports.  They completely dropped their football team a number of years ago
and then brought it back on a small scale.  Villanova only seems to support
basketball and track.  I can't see them wanting to spend the energy and
money it will take to move their hockey program up.

Russell Jaslow         |Internet Contact - Potsdam College Hockey|My employer
Eastman Kodak Company  |Publisher and Editor - SUNYAC Newsletter |has nothing
Rochester, New York    | Potsdam Bears - 1981 and 1986 NCAA Div. |to do with
[log in to unmask]    III National Basketball Champions    |my drivel.