From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 06:32:43 -0700
On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, greenie wrote:

> NB: I'M NOT FLAMING JUNIOR HOCKEY
> ---------------------------------
> It also appears that the majority of the penalties-with-intent-to-harm come
> from the older ex-Junior hockey players, and it's not surprising. Kids
> coming straight out of high school (or being younger) have spent less time
> playing hockey where such violent play is not nearly as tolerated as it is
> in the Juniors. I don't think this means that Junior players are more
> "violent;" rather, they've had more exposure to it, and therefore are more
> acceptable of it and possibly prone to participate in it.
> NOTE: JUST MAKING AN OBSERVATION, NOT FLAMING.

If this is not a flame I don't know what is.  The juniors are more
tolerant of fighting, which distresses me, but this is not the same as
being tolerant of intent to harm type play which is deplored every bit as
much as it is on any level of hockey I have encountered.

> Is College Hockey in place to provide talented players with a chance for an
> education, or as a stepping stone to the professional level?

I think the former should be the case, but the recent NC$$ sanctions
described on this list concerning the Canadian player who spent some time
in school while not playing suggests otherwise.   I may get flamed for
this, but is has long been my belief (moreso for bigtime football and
basketball) is that they should drop the pretense and just pay these
exploited atheletes.

By the way, there was a recent feature on CBC talking about the change in
Canada Juniors in the balance of hockey power from the OHL to the WHL.
One reason for it was said to be the new provision by the Western League
which pays for one year of tuition and books for every year a player
plays in the League.  This means that those junior players who do not
make it to the pros can, if they play four years in Juniors, have their
education financed without worrying about petty and complicated NC$$ rules.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
NAYIM FROM THE HALFWAY LINE!!!