From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 21:43:06 -0700
On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, greenie wrote:

> 2. Grier will most likely become the first American-born black player to
> play in the NHL. IMHO, this will be a monumental achievement, and I hope
> that a LOT of people make a BIG fuss about it when it happens.

There is some measure of irony in the fact that, unless traded, Grier's
rights are owned by the Edmonton Oilers.  Edmonton is a place not torn
by black/white issues, which is not to say that racism does not exist
here, merely that other "minorities" and First Nations people are the
groups which get the most attention, and feel the brunt of what
discrimination there is.  Of course Grant Fuhr, a black player, was quite
prominent in Edmonton's glory years.  For this reason I think it would be
quite a contrast for Grier to play here where his race almost certainly will
not be an issue, and then go on the road to the States where he will
probably be featured on many a sportscast.

College hockey content: last time I checked Mike Grier played for BU :-)

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
NAYIM FROM THE HALFWAY LINE!!!
GOODBYE HEREFORD, HELLO FA CUP!!!