From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 11:47:14 -0500
At 10:23 AM 12/14/95 -0600, Eeyore wrote:
>  My preferred solution is to start up new conferences, with the
>acknowledged idea that not all of the conferences are going to be of equal
>strength.

I'd favor this idea as well.  If Division I is to grow in numbers, it must
*also* allow itself to grow to satisfy this growth.  As far as conference
strength goes, isn't the idea that not all conferences are the equal
strength the case now?  There is the debate here every year about which
conference is better in a given year, especially at the end of last year
with two Hockey East teams meeting in the final.

The main reason I support a new division or divisions if there will be
growth is to try and make each conference as "regional" as possible.  We
must remember that even if not all the players are as *serious* about
academics as others, they all still have to maintain a certain level of
success, and need to be fairly able to do that.

I heard someone talking about the possibility of UAH going Division I again
and looking to join the CCHA.  All I could think about was that teams in the
CCHA would not only have to go to Alaska, but to Alabama.  That doesn't seem
fair in my opinion.  There is no other place for Alaska at this time.  What
would help this is if teams on the West coast went Division I, where Alaska
could join those conferences.

Now granted, if a school in a conferences *region* wanted to join, they
should be given priority and consideration, like Mankato State.  But one can
understand the reluctance of the WCHA to take them.

I also agree with Steve as well.  We shouldn't stand in the way of Division
I expansion, because we all love this game, and it would be great to see it
spread throughout the nation, and gain popularity.  Sure it would be
*inconvient* for conferences to take some teams, but if they did it on a
temporary basis, for the greater good, what would be the harm in that?

---
Deron [log in to unmask]

--> University of Maine Hockey (13-3-3)
--> Unofficial UMaine Hockey Web Page at:
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html