From:
"Andria L. Hunter" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andria L. Hunter
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 1995 14:56:52 -0500
Mike Collingridge writes:

>I must admit I haven't seen too many college women games and not one
>in the ECAC but how can the concept of a "power forward" by definition
>[exist]? From what I've seen and understand, the very nature of the game
>does not accomodate such a style. This is not a knock on the players.
>Perhaps "power forward" takes on a new meaning in the women's game
>or back East they play the game differently.

Yes, I think it's quite possible to have a "power forward" in the
women's game.  However, the definition may be somewhat different than
the definition of a "power forward" in the men's game.  I think of a
power forward as a very strong skater who is able to drive hard
on the outside, around the defenders, right to the net.  A couple
of players come to mind:

   Angela James - played for Senaca College (north of Toronto)
                - currently playing for the Toronto Red Wings of the
                   Senior AA COWHL (Central Ontario Women's Hockey League)
                - Team Canada 1990, 92, 94, 96

   Lori Dupuis  - currently playing at the University of Toronto
                   and also playing for the Toronto Red Wings Senior AA
                - Team Canada 1995, 96

The University of Toronto's women's team has a couple of exhibition games
this weekend that you might be interested in.  We play at Brown University
at 7:00 pm on Sat Nov 25th, and we play at Yale at 10:00 am on Sun
Nov 26th.  I know the Yale game will be played at Yale, but I'm
not sure if the Brown game will be played at Brown or at Yale.  When
I find out where it will be played, I'll post to hockey-l-info.

Current Canadian National team members who play for the University of
Toronto are Lori Dupuis (#66) and Laura Schuler (#14).  The coach for the
University of Toronto (Karen Hughes) is an assistant coach for Team Canada.

Andria Hunter

|       ...  She shoots!     ......    She scoooooores!!!                    |
|                                                   _                 __     |
|     z z   .     z z  \_.     z z            z  z           \_\_\      | |  |
|    TEAM CANADA - WOMEN'S WORLD ICE HOCKEY CHAMPIONS - 1990, 1992, 1994     |
|  For women's hockey info via the world wide web:                           |
|       http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andria                                    |
|  You can also access this info via anonymous FTP to ftp.cs.toronto.edu.    |
|       My files are in the pub/issac/test directory. (see the README file)  |