From:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 90 12:03:27 -0400
+ Date:         Mon, 22 Oct 90 11:02:42 EDT
+ From: [log in to unmask]
+
+  Clarkson's band is definitely the most annoying pep band we have
+  ever experienced here in Mariucci. Evidently, Clarkson doesn't have
+  a school song and they were really out of line when they persisted
+  in playing when the U of M pep band was playing our school song
+  (even after this was pointed out to them and their staff in the
+  press box).

When BU played North Dakota (I think that was them?) in the quarter
finals last year, their pep band came along for the ride.  Our band
and theirs made a deal beforehand not to interrupt each others cheers,
but, I guess they didn't feel up to it.  They weren't too bad about
it, but they did keep on interrupting our cow bell whenever it was
used with our "GO" cheer.

+  Wisconsin has a fabulous pep band, and although they are quite
+  rowdy, they usually "take turns" playing with the other band(s)
+  which are present. This is as it should be.  Hogging all the
+  playing time won't win the game as Clarkson no doubt found out last
+  March.

I was at Detroit last year (*sigh*) and was greatly impressed by both
the Wisconsin band and the Wisconsin fans.  [I believe the fact that
the crowd was a good 60% to 70% Wisconsin, was a MAJOR factor in their
getting the championship]

The Michigan State fans that stayed for the finals did say that our
fans were pretty good given how few there were.  [I guess I can take
some solace from our spirit :-)]  Of course, they were sitting right
in front of the lot of us, so it might be "proximity" vote. :-)

adam bryant
Boston University