From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 10:50:27 -0700
In reference to the posting snipped below:

While playing a tape about Rensselaer (still hard for me not to say RPI!)
in preparation for a local "college info nite" here in San Luis Obispo, I
ran across a big segment related to hockey, Adam Oates, and yes, the Pep
Band at RPI.  The theme was not really hockey (altho there were some great
shots in B and W of late 60's hockey -- fitting with the dark era of RPI
hockey, I think and also Jan Pirrong '69 and his son Jon '96), but about
how the hockey team sort of embodies the spirit of the campus.

At any rate, they showed interviews with the Pep Band, showed them in
action at a Freakout Game, and also Adam Oates remarked at how the whole
Freakout weekend convinced him to come to RPI.

So at least at RPI, it seems live Pep Band music wins over canned PA
music.  Of course, I'd give my eye teeth to be able to discover this in
person one of these days!

Tony Buffa
RPI '64

On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Doug Garn wrote:

> About midway through the season last year "progress" struck at a Lakers
> home game.  Up to this point the Pep Band played during every break in
> action and in between periods.  Then one night at the first break in
> action the pep band started to play, also, over the PA system came the
> loud strains of a current popular tune.

                <snip>