From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 12:53:56 -0400
> I can't claim to be an ECAC expert, so I have let everyone else fight
> it out.  I do find some of the comments on Vermont interesting,
> however.  I think many of them come out of a disappointment in how
> Vermont did last year.

Well, Vermont had high expectations last year. Their offense was
probably the main reason behind that. From what I can recall, I
don't remember anyone claiming that the defense would hurt them.

> A recurring theme is "Vermont has two of the best offensive players in
> the country, but their defense hurt them."  Then I look at the
> standings from last year, and despite finishing 5th in the ECAC,
> Vermont's GAA was the lowest in the league.  Sure, Thomas is good, but
> no team finishes with the lowest GAA without their D having at least a
> decent season.

Good point...

> The interesting thing is that in many of the key games Vermont didn't
> win, they had trouble scoring goals: only 1 in their two q-final
> losses to Colgate, for instance.  Down the stretch - last 15 games -
> Vermont allowed more than 3 goals only 3 times.
>
> My outside view is that this is a team that was talented but
> inexperienced last season.  Many of Vermont's key players were young,
> and they played with inconsistency.  That will change this season.

Ditto. I talk about experience like it's the sole factor for winning
the ECAC. I should clear up that fact in that experience along with
having the talent to do it is what makes a winner, IMO.

> As an outside observer of the ECAC, I would say that if Vermont gets
> the leadership it needs, it will probably be the best team in the ECAC
> and win the league.  These guys know what they didn't do last year and
> what it will take to get the job done this season.

I think that's a good argument, as well. However, I hesitate to say
whether or not they'll win the league. They couldn't get the job
done when they needed to last year, so I'm a little skeptical.

I'd love to see Vermont do it, though. I think we'll see what happens
when they face their first "important, must-win" game.

--