From:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 13:07:09 -0400
Saul Morgenstern writes:

>>On an irrelevant note, Sean's note had Massachusetts and
>>Minnesota as the only two states fielding Div. I hockey teams
>>from more than one state campus.  I had always thought that
>>Michigan, Michigan State and Lake Superior State were part of the
>>same state university system.  Am I wrong?  If so, would someone
>>who knows better explain it to me?  (Why is it an irrelevant note
>>- - you ask?  Because all three schools have such different names,
>>even if I am right and they are in the same system, they do not
>>present the UMass/UMinn confusion issue.)

Actually these schools are all state of Michigan funded public
universities, as are Ferris State, Western Michigan, Northern
Michigan, Michigan Tech. and some others who don't have Div. I
hockey teams.  I think it's the same concept as in other states
like Wisconsin except that, in Wisconsin, every state funded
university is part of the UofW system.  Here, apparently we
retain our individual university names.

The only case of similar names for hockey teams we have is
with the University of Michigan which has the Wolverines of
UofM-Ann Arbor (referred to as Michigan) and another team
(not Div. I) team at the Dearborn campus (referred
to as UofM-Dearborn).

Matt Wickey                     Lake Superior State University
Carnegie Group, Inc.            NCAA Div. I Champs 1988 1992 1994
[log in to unmask]                  Go LAKERS!

------- End of Forwarded Message