From:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 1995 20:53:02 -0400
Sorry for the time delay, I haven't been in the metro-Amherst area lately.

Mike wrote:
> I won't type in all of the details of the (long-winded) rule from the
> NC$$ Manual, but in short,

...and I think that "short" is the only word not included in, or ever used
to describe the NCAA manual!

> I believe that when former Merrimack asst Scott McPherson left in 1993
> to join UMass, he did so as a REC.  But, I also seem to remember
> hearing that he was involved in duties at the Mullins Center which
> hosts many events not related to hockey or other UMass sports.  Scotty
> could very well have received pay for those duties unrelated to
> sports, and this seems to be acceptable under the guidelines.
>
> One of the reasons Merrimack could not hold onto Scotty was that MC
> doesn't have a facility like Mullins, nor do they have the funds that
> UMass has to cover the increase in pay.  MC was disappointed to lose
> him, but it was certainly in his best interests to leave and I'm happy
> to see him doing well.  At least he brought us Martin Legault. :-)

        Although, I'm not sure of last season, I know that McPherson was
a full-time assistant with the team in 1994-1995. McPherson, is a heck of
a guy, and is also a solid coach. He handles a good deal of the in-season
recruiting, and always calls the press-box during games for updates from
extremely random areas. Along with voulnteer assistant coach (and BC
alum) Mark Dennehey, the two are usually in the seats during games
communicating with Bob Derraney via headset for the things you just can't
see at ice level. During UMass home games, the two are in the VIP room,
watching over the game from an angle that Grant Stanbrook (Maine
assistant) would love.
        As for the restricted-earnings part, UMass does utalize the
position in some sports (John Robic of the basketball team immediately
comes to mind), and has a good number of Sports Management grad students
who also coach. (Ainslee Press-Field Hockey, Pat Lorian-Men's Lacrosse
come right to the front of my mind here). Some teams also use volunteer
coaches like Dennehey.
        Like Mike pointed out though, UMass just has more resources to
draw on. McPherson recruited solidly at Merrimack. Getting players like
Legault to come to a school with minimal D1 history, and a sub-par rink
demonstrated that. With the $50 million Mullins Center, and a prospering
athletic department, I am confident that he will do likewise at UMass.

Leigh
Who is still in awe of Bob Errey's behind-the-back-and-off-the-crossbar
tip late in the third period last night.