From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 23:57:00 -0400
David Parter writes:
>I don't know the specifics of how Butters' was paid, but I was under
>the impression that the limit was for ALL University sources (thus
>eliminating the potential abuse where a no-work position is created
>in order to pay the restricted earnings coach more money).

I won't type in all of the details of the (long-winded) rule from the
NC$$ Manual, but in short,

* RECs (restricted earnings coaches) are limited to $12,000 during the
academic year.  During the summer, it is $4,000.  This is compensation
from the athletic dept or any organization funded in whole or part by
the AD or that is involved primarily in the promotion of the athletics
program.  Booster club is listed as an example.  Camps/clinics of the
institution, an institution's employee, or another institution also
count.

* The following is also included: shoe contract/equipment or apparel
company income, on-campus athletics event management income (examples
given are charity athletics events, fund-raising, and alumni
association tournaments/events), and the use of the institution's
facilities for fee-per-lesson income.

I believe that when former Merrimack asst Scott McPherson left in 1993
to join UMass, he did so as a REC.  But, I also seem to remember
hearing that he was involved in duties at the Mullins Center which
hosts many events not related to hockey or other UMass sports.  Scotty
could very well have received pay for those duties unrelated to
sports, and this seems to be acceptable under the guidelines.

One of the reasons Merrimack could not hold onto Scotty was that MC
doesn't have a facility like Mullins, nor do they have the funds that
UMass has to cover the increase in pay.  MC was disappointed to lose
him, but it was certainly in his best interests to leave and I'm happy
to see him doing well.  At least he brought us Martin Legault. :-)