From:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 1995 17:48:56 -0400
Mike Machnik points out:
> And as Eli mentioned,
> he can often be seen at games as a spectator...I seem to recall he was
> one of the 700 max at BC for the sparsely-attended UMass-BC HE 8 vs 9
> playoff game this season.

        McDonough was a part of the paltry 723 at that contest. He is a
close friend of Minuteman, and former Terrier, Jon Jacques and has been
spotted at Mullins a few times this season. He was even there the night
against Lowell, when Jacques had his nose broken by a vicious (but legal)
blindsiding hit by Arron Kriss.
        Talking to him at hockey games, I'll agree that he is very
knoledgeable about the sport, and the college ranks in particular. That
translates into his broadcasts, which are amongst the best in the
business. No matter what the sport, he has an excellent voice and calls
the play superbly. Having heard him call everything from Game 7 of the
World Series to BYU-San Diego State football, his versitility and smooth
transition from one sport to another help to make him the exceptional
broadcaster that he is.
        McDonough is a Boston guy, few will argue that, but he is more
than fair to all teams, and isn't an excessive "homer." It might come
across that way though because those are the teams he's more familiar
with compared to a North Dakota or Western Michigan, and thus can easier
elaborate about them. This season the UMass basketball team had five home games
on either ESPN or ESPN2. Not at all surprisingly, McDonough called three of
those five (Arkansas, Pitt, Western Kentucky).

Leigh
Who's happy to have something to talk about here.

Just one more &$#%#@* exam!!!!!!!!