From:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 23:41:57 -0500
If your sick of this topic, I apologize.

Woog did not invent this policy. It's the way the Gophers have
done things for quite a while.  In fact, I recall that Frank Pieterangelo
(sp?), who was a top star in Canadian Juniors, wanted to play for the
Gophers because he had heard it was a great program.  I can see why
Buetow didn't argue (I don't remember what the story on Blue is, I think
he came to Minnesota via the USHL though).  As for Woog, I believe he's said
that if a great player from out of state wanted to come the Gophers,
they'd give him a look; BUT, they weren't going to go look for one.

I would also like to point out that while it's certainly  true that
the 20 best players are not from Minnesota, they don't all play for
any one team anyway.  The question is, if Minnesota begins recruiting
out of state, will they lose their edge in state?  Considering that
most teams in College hockey would love to be a consistently good as
Minnesota has been, it seems to me that messing with the formula could
easily do more harm than good.

One last thing on this topic:  It's unique.  Period.  No one else
could do it, no one else should.  End of story.

Gary Hatfield

"RAH! RAH! RAH! for SKI U MAH! RAH! RAH! RAH! RAH!
RAH! for the U of M!"