Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 13:48:08 EST
Ooooooh, what a game!!!!!

As Tom Mees said during one of the OT's : "OUTRAGEOUS"

But, first, the much discussed ESPN coverage (more discussed than the game
itself)...

I saw the game on tape in the evening and not having set the record long
enough (who thght this game wd go this long :) ), the recording had stopped
with 20 seconds left in the 2nd OT. As it turned out that was a no-factor
thanks to ESPN.

I must disagree with Ryan Robbins on what ESPN did - we do not have to be
grateful to ESPN for anything. They do not provide coverage for free. They
are a business and are in this to make money (Note: I am not saying that in
any derogatory sense). So, when they choose to show College Hockey, that
means they have seena potential for good business...no more. If they did
not they would not show the games and I would not complain about that.
However, having decided to to show the game, by their own ethics and rules,
they are obliged to carry ther game in full (ala the Family Cup tennis
match...sure, I did not want an hour of a 3rd round tennis game recorded
on my tape...however, what ESPN did there was right). In fact, toward the
end of the 2nd period, Mees mentioned "we have only abt 45 mins of the
Senior PGA tournament left. But, seeing how this game has gone so far, and
how much effort these kids have put into it, and this being the NCAA
national semis, you folks will understand" (after claiming that they were
going to stay with the game to the end) (all this from memory). Right on!
Little did Mees know about the kind of people he's working for.

And regarding the satellitle excuse - hmm...sounds very fishy to me. I
don't understand the jargon, but, this reasoning coming the day after,
after all the noise about their lack of coverage...surely, they could
have mentioned it at that time; surely they could have mentioned that
they were not showing a live shot of the winning goal.

I think its just a fib.

Oh well, enough about ESPN (I only hope they don't pull any more stunts
on Saturday).

To the game itself: just incredible. The interesting thing is that both
teams played a very similar style of game. Both chose to attack or defend
at about the same time leading to either tight defensive hockey or explosive
offense at either end. Could not even count the number of great chances
both teams had. The stars of the game: Without a dobt, the goalies Turco
and Allison. Both showed brilliance (at times, sheer luck :>) and were
primarily responsible for the OTs as well as the 3-3 score (could have
very easily been something like 7-7).

As far as the refereeing in the OTs : while I agree with letting the kids
play and not wanting to decide a close game, I think the refs should have
called some. However, I am glad that once they decided not to call anthing,
they stuck to that idea till the end (and not call a random one which would
have left a sour taste had it been the decider). I also appreciated that
the players did not take *too much* advantage of this and make it a brawl
game. Instead they played hockey.

Kudos to both teams on this spectacular performance - it was sad that there
could be only one winner.

I feel bad for Michigan - they seem to be carrying the monkey now that Maine
did for a long time (not being able to get past the semis). I'm sure they
will ignore it (as Maine did) and be back very soon.

ME-BU : need I say anything :-) The rivalry lives!

Hoping for a game tomorrow to top it all!

Cheers
Venky

GO BLUE!!!! Bring it home again!!!

(still replaying images of Allison on his back putting his glove up to save
an open goal in the 3rd; Turco barely deflecting Purdie from the open net in
the 1st OT; Morrison slamming one on the goal post in the 1st OT; a sprawling
Turco gloving a sure goal from Thomson in the 2nd OT)