Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 13:35:50 EST
First off, I must say that I am happy with the amount of coverage that The
Detroit News has been giving college hockey, ever since the playoffs began
(and not just the NCAAs but all the division playoffs too). Not only have
they been reporting CCHA and WCHA, but they also had results for the ECAC
and Hockey East tourneys. Being a Hockey East fan displaced to the midwest,
I must say that this was a big boon :).

Of course, they have been having a little more detailed articles on Michigan,
MSU and LSSU games. Recently, though, there have been a couple of articles
where they have mentioned UMaine and its title in 1993 and UMaine's Final
Four game with UMichigan (semi's) in 1993.

They have repeated one mistake both times: on who scored the winning goal for
UMaine in OT. They keep saying Cal Ingraham got the winning goal; whereas it
was the defenseman Lee Saunders who did that. Of course, it was Cal who got
the tying goal for Maine in the 3rd from a feed off Jim Montgomery. I am
wondering if I should call and correct them :>.

Also, with the forthcoming UMaine-UMich game, the general mood at UMich
seems to be that they wanted this one. In one of the articles earlier on
UMich's recent trips to the NCAAs, Mike Knuble (I think) is quoted as
saying "We had Maine. We let them get a goal or two ..." (from memory -
the trend of the quote was that UMich lost a game they should not have).
He was referring no doubt to the fact that UMich led Maine by 2-0 and
3-2 before losing on a strange goal in OT. As a biased Maine fan, I'd
debate that UMich LET Maine into the game :-).

Also, Coach Berenson is quoted saying "It's good we are playing Maine.
They (some players) remember playing them (Maine)". (again from memory).

So, mebbe we should look for another exciting game!

Cheers
Venky [who wants another Maine title!]

ps: Hey John, is this right? Do u get the feeling that Michigan has been
looking for this game?

GO BLUE! (the Maine Blue ie. :) )