From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 12:30:12 -0500
Even though this does not have college hockey content, it should still be
of interest to many of you, especially those of us who constantly criticize
the NCAA for whatever reason we want to criticize them for.  (Besides, this
post has NO SIEVE content in it.)

You know how we all get a bit peeved over the fact that NCAA has trademarked
the term "Final Four" and will not allow its use for anything other than
their basketball tournaments?  And, worse yet, they have the right to charge
others for the use of that term especially if it appears on such things as
T-shirts.

Well, imagine if the NCAA was using a term that was trademarked by somebody
else who is now going after the NCAA for monies owed them for its use.

It has happened.  The term is "March Madness".  According to a sports show
I saw last night on Prime, called "Prime Cuts", the term "March Madness"
was first developed in 1939 by the Illinois High School Basketball State
Championships.  They trademarked the term and use all money for the rights
to use this term that it brings in to provide college scholarships for its
high school students.

Well, Illinois is now going after the NCAA because the NCAA has never paid
a dime in the use of this term.  The NCAA is trying to defend themeselves
by using such an absurd (IMO) argument that the public only associates that
term with college basketball now.  However, to the credit of both sides,
they are trying to come up with a working agreement before having to fight
it out in court.

Russell Jaslow         |Official Contact - Potsdam College Hockey|My employer
Eastman Kodak Company  | Potsdam Bears - 1981 and 1986 NCAA Div. |has nothing
Rochester, New York    |  III National Basketball Champions and  |to do with
[log in to unmask]    winners of 60 consecutive games!     |my drivel.