From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 23:53:06 -0500
HOCKEY TOURNEY DRAWS TOP STARS TO MERRIMACK
by Hector Longo
Eagle-Tribune Writer

NORTH ANDOVER - When a hockey tournament's alumni list includes names
like Jeremy Roenick, Brian Leetch, Tom Barrasso, and Kevin Stevens,
you know it's an honor to be invited.

Four area players have shown the skills warranting invitations to the
18th annual Hockey Night in Boston All-Scholastic Tournament, which
will be held Thursday through Sunday at Merrimack College.

With about 100 of the nations' top seniors and 30 of the most talented
juniors divided on six teams, the 12-game event is always
well-attended by college and professional scouts.  Twenty-three
players from the 1994 tourney were selected in the 1994 NHL draft.

"You can just watch some of these guys on the ice and learn," said
Pingree School junior Chris Halecki of Andover.  "Most of the guys
playing in this are Division 1 college players and the rest are going
to top Division 3 schools.  You're going against the best all the
time."

Superstar invitees (with their college choice in parenthesis) include:
Mike Bent (Harvard) of Nobles; Albie O'Connell (BU) of St Sebastian's;
Brendan Buckley (BC); Marty Reasoner (BC) of Deerfield; Sean Ritchlin
(Michigan) of Hotchkiss; Eric Lundin (Vermont) of Taft; Craig
MacDonald (Harvard) of Lawrence Academy; Tarvis Roy (BU) of Tabor;
Bubba Berenzweig (Michigan) of Loomis; and Peter Zakowich (Harvard) of
Deerfield.

Along with Halecki, a Pingree junior who tallied 38 goals and 59
assists this season, will be Cushing junior first linemates Ryan
Moynihan of Andover and Jayson Philbin of North Andover, and Phillips
Exeter senior defenseman Brian Addesa, also of Andover.

Addesa will play for his father Mike, who coaches the Mid-West team,
while the others skate for the Mass Privates.  The other teams
include: Mass Publics/Catholics; New England; NY/Mid-Atlantic; and
Keller/Eberhart.

"It's very intense.  It's really exciting because you know the talent
level you're going against," said Addesa, who helped lead Phillips
Exeter to its first 20-win season ever.  "I'm very pumped up.  I
haven't had real good showings in this tourney and the summer
tourneys.  It's my senior year, my last chance to prove myself.  I'm
raring to go."

Philbin, Cushing's all-time leading scorer, totalled 33 goals and 70
assists this year.

"A lot of the real good players are here.  It's going to be a great
time," said Philbin.  "There's a lot more pressure as a junior than as
a sophomore, because you have to start thinking about college.  I want
to play Hockey East.  I have to prove I can play every time I step on
the ice, because people are watching."

Moynihan, who set a school season goal mark with 47, is pumped up to
play in this tourney, more so than the HNIB Summer Showcase where the
talent is a bit more diluted.

"There are less kids in this one.  You have to get picked to play,"
said Moynihan.  "I'm pretty excited.  We've had a couple practices
with other teams, who look real good."

END

HNIB ALL-SCHOLASTIC TOURNEY
All games at Merrimack College.

Thursday, March 23, 1995
Mid-West vs Keller-Eberhart, 4 pm
Mass Privates vs Mass Publics/Catholics, 6:15 pm
New England vs NY/Mid-Atlantic, 8:30 pm

Friday, March 24, 1995
Mass Privates vs NY/Mid-Atlantic, 4 pm
Mass Publics/Catholics vs Keller/Eberhart, 6:15 pm
New England vs Mid-West, 8:30 pm

Saturday, March 25, 1995
New England vs Mass Publics/Catholics, 2 pm
Mid-West vs NY/Mid-Atlantic, 4:15 pm
Mass Privates vs Keller/Eberhart, 6:30 pm

Sunday, March 26, 1995
5th place game, 10 am
3rd place game, 12:15 pm
Championship game, 2:30 pm

TICKETS: Are $7 per day per adult, $5 per day per student.  Weekend
passes for all 12 games are $20.