Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 17:17:01 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "G. M. Finniss"
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>Bob Gaskins wrote, in response to my "analysis" of the LSSU/MSU matchup:
>>>  While Buzak was on the All-Tournament Team as the
>>>  goaltender, he made two key errors in the third that cost
>>>  MSU the game.
>
>>Come on, Gary!  Buzak's errors are NOT what cost MSU the game.  MSU lost the
>>game in the second period when the team failed to show up.
>
>OK, maybe I was a bit too strong in laying the blame totally on Mike's
>shoulders.

Actually, while at JLA, I thought that Buzak was responsible entirely for
the tying Laker goal at 3-3. It was on a shot from far and Buzak kicked it
out to his blind side where 2 Lakers were hangin out. However, in retrospect
(of course!) I guess I was a little harsh too. But, is it me, or some1
else noticed it too that Buzak tends to kick the puck away more than
appears necessary? Not having seen him in other games, I cannot say for
sure.

>            I do believe, as I wrote before (though Bob didn't quote it) that
>MSU, as it did against Bowling Green in the semis and has done way too many
>times for my taste this season, went into a shell in the second period.

This as I mentioned once b4, is the biggest reason y MSU lost. They just
did not show up in the 2nd and much of the 3rd period. Also, I think
LSSU's 4th goal actually went off a MSU players stick as he tried to poke
it away from near Buzak's pads. The puck leapt in the air and Buzak had
no chance.

>If the same team wearing Green and White shows up in the second and/or the
>third, the game would have been over.  I don't care what people think about
>the
>"Laker mystique," but if MSU comes out strong in the second and puts pressure
>on the Laker net, MSU carries the trophy around JLA, no question.

I agree on the LSSU part. They did not play like they were going to win
this game; it was more of a MSU no-show that gave the game away.

This brings me to the potential LSSU-BU matchup. If LSSU plays BU like they
did against MSU, I think the outcome will be different from the last 2 years.
BU is too good a team to just try clearing the puck from their zone for most
of the game. Also, I don't think Jack Parker/BU are likely to lose 3 times in
a row to any team in the playoffs. And, NO...this is not reverse woofing
(considering I am a Maine fan! :-) )...I do know Oliver's woofing theorem
well :).

BTW, Congrats to BU and fans for winning back-to-back HE championships (I
think only the second team to do it after Maine).

>(BTW, did anybody check to see if Venky broke the all-time smiley-face record
>on that last post?  I thought I saw at least 10, and not all in the same
>place.)
>
>G. M. Finniss

*ouch* Gary :).... So, did I or didn't I break the record. Actually, I
must have broken a personal record for this many posts in 3-4 days; but,
I didn't realize I was going for another one in the background :).

Let the games begin!!

Cheers
Venky

Go Blue!!!!