From:
Paul Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 05:29:03 -0006
> > You are 100% correct about the SIEVE chant if WIS were down 10-1. I'm
 assuming
> > if the gophers were down 10-1 their fans would do the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A
 thing,
> > too. I guess it was okay for the MINN fans to do their chant when they
 scored
> > against CC as long as CC won the game. The guy who wrote that should be
> > envious of the fan support we have - college hockey needs it if they want to
> > get on TV more.
>
> There's a big difference between what the U of M does after scoring and
> what UW does. Both schools play their school songs. The similarities end
> their. Wisconsin goes into a fanatical Sieve chant aimed only at
> ridiculing and insulting the opposing team. Minnesota yells out the
> letters of their state -- we're really into English and spelling up here.
>
> The UW fanatical Sieve chant has no logic. UW can be getting their butts
> handed to them by a vastly superior team and the band and fans will still
> do the sieve chant after a goal. Think about it!!! You're losing! You
> shouldn't be claiming that your opponent sucks when your losing.

I agree.  I've been to games where the opposing goaltender is having a
spectacular game, stopping all the shots.  Then after going down 6-0 and
the goalie lets in a meaningless goal that he had no chance in stopping,
the Wisconsin fans start the sieve chant.  At first I thought those fans
were really mean, however I have come to realize they just have no
hockey sense.  They really don't know what they are chanting.  It's the
only cheer they know except "Let's go Red!", which in opposing arenas
gets quickly changed to "Go home Red!", yet they still start that one
also!?!?!?
Paul W. Barber
<A HREF="http://www.umn.edu/nlhome/m028/barbe016/">Paul's Home Page</A>