From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 17:52:32 -0500
>Maybe the reason I feel more comfortable seeing Skazyk in net is because
>Elliott gives up a lot of predictable goals.  There are some moves that
>beat him almost every time.  I think Skazyk is better with coming up with
>the key save to stop a breakout or slow down an attack.  Of course, that's
>not the consistency you're looking for in a starting goalie, but I hate to
>be watching a game and knowing that if this guy moves just to the right
>he's gonna score on us....

The problem with Skazyk is you never know what he's going to give up,
including very soft goals.  With Eddy in net, I often feel like saves are
random events, and many of them are made because he happens to be in the
way.  Now that's not entirely true, and he is certainly not the worst
goalie I've seen at Cornell.  However, he doesn't inspire any faith in me.
How many times did the radio announcers during Friday night's game say
"Skazyk had no idea where the puck was"  even as he made the save?  I don't
remember;  I lost track.  Yes, he got the job done and had an amazing night
in a game where we needed a great performance.  Do I have the confidence
that he will *definately* do it again the next time out?  Unfortunately,
no.

He deserves playing time, but I wouldn't want to see him get the nod every time.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!