From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 23:56:24 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Deron Treadwell
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>University of Mass-Amherst (5-21-2, 3-15-0 Last in Hockey East)
>at
>University of Maine (24-2-6, 12-1-6 1st in Hockey East)
>7PM Saturday, Alfond Arena, Orono, Maine.
>TV Coverage, WLBZ-2 (Bangor), 6-ALIVE (Portland)

>UMass pulled off the trick of the year, beating Maine 4-2 on Jan. 28, and I
>thought it would be a turning point for the program, but less than a week
>later they lost to Holy Cross 3-2.

As a former player and now coach and umpire of baseball, I can tell you
that no team has a "turning point." Beating an overall superior opponent
is something to be excited about, but it means nothing by itself when
you step back and look at your team. To become competitive and maintain
a competitive edge takes time and hard work. You can't rest on your
laurels. There's a danger in beating a team that's better than you
because you may become complacent in your next game, no matter who your
opponent is. There's a danger in having a good record, too, for the same
reason. There have been a lot of nights when I've walked into Alfond
Arena before a game against a Merrimack or a UMass-Amherst and I've
felt a calmness on the fans' part. "We can't lose" is the feeling the
fans give off when Maine plays a low-ranked team. The players shouldn't
feel that way; they should be a bit edgy.

Teams like Merrimack need to be assertive when they play a Maine or a
Boston University; they can't say, "Oh, well, we're going to get
pummeled." What I think happened when UMass-Amherst beat Maine was
Maine was too relaxed and too confident after beating the Minutemen
soundly the night before. Maine didn't wake up until it was too late
in that second game.

Esteem IS necessary to improve your play, but you also need talent and
intensity.

>The University of
>Maine as a whole was embarassed by the loss to UMass, and even professors
>during lectures related to the loss.

I disagree with this statement. Believe it or not, Maine is NOT a hockey-
crazed school. Student tickets have not been gobbled up as they were
two years ago. None of my professors have mentioned anything about any
Maine sports team this year, nor have I heard anybody mention Maine's
loss at UMass-Amherst. It's not that big of a deal; there's nothing to
be embarrassed about by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody should
expect Maine to always beat UMass-Amherst or Merrimack.
Ryan Robbins               "Nothing in fine print is ever good news."
University of Maine                                  -- Andy Rooney