From:
"ERIC E. SCHMAUTZ" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ERIC E. SCHMAUTZ
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 01:57:09 -0700
The following rticle was published in the University of Denver Student
News Paper on Thursday, January 19 about Jack McDonald, Athletic Director:

Jack McDonald announced that he would be leaving the University of Denver.  His
announcement has become a tragic part of DU history because of all that he has
done for the Department of Athletics and the University of Denver.  DU will
never be the same without Jack's presence.

Since Jack took the helm of the Athletics Program, he surrounded himself with
excellent people who shared in his lofty goals for the department.  Jack has
always felt strongly about the quality program that they provide to the student
athletes.  "We are and we have been a great athletic Department," said Jack
shortly after the announcement.

"Jack was very supportive of the concept of the student athlete and the
academic standard we hold at the University of Denver," said Terry Toy,
University Representative for the Faculty Athletics Committee.  DU athletes do
well in the classroom and boast a composite GPA greater than the all campus
average.

When Jack was the track and cross country coach at Boston College he
learned what it was like to coach a non-revenue producing sport which does not
attract attention like BC's highly successful Football and Hockey programs.
Pioneer Baseball head coach Jack Rose said, "Jack was very interested in
all sports....the lines of communication were always open and I have the
highest respect for him."  The head coach said that Jack was always very
positive toward baseball and all the sports.  "Jack did an outstanding job",
said Coach Rose.

Jack McDonald brought the experience of a premiere athletic administration to
the University of Denver.  He increased contributions and corporate
sponsorships to Pioneer athletics as well as established the Pioneer athletics
Foundation.  DU has seen a tripling of gifts since he joined the University.

All along Jack has been promoting the University of Denver.  George Gwozdecky,
the head coach of the Pioneers Hockey Program said that, "Jack sung DU's
praises tremendously" while he headed up the national search for a new hockey
coach.

Jack McDonald continued promoting pioneer pride by starting the DU sports net
which is a electronic mail service to inform Pioneer athletic supporters around
the world of all of the athletic teams activities.  "The sports net was
another dimension of his interest in promoting the sports program and to
find every way possible to communicate around campus and around the nation,"
said Jack Pommrehn, head of the Pioneer Hockey Club.  Mr. Pommrehn also stated
that, "He (Jack McDonald) brought DU athletics to new heights which is what we
observed and appreciated."

Angelo Ricci, a senior center for the prospering hockey team said, "Jack
brought a lot of pride and respect back to the program."  Angelo credits Jack
with the success of the Denver Cup Hockey Tournament, the development of the
new sports facility and the successful Smart Choices  program.

Jack's contributions to the entire University Community were slighted.  He
oversaw the programming function of the new university athletic facility which
will promote the Chancellor's goal of developing and supporting all sports at
the NCAA Division I level.  Jack brought enthusiasm to the athletic
administration, prosperity to the varsity teams, funding to expand the
programs, and leadership and dedication for the department to excel.  It is
too bad that Jack will not be here to enjoy the continued prosperity that he
has initiated .

Jack became a part of the this campus that can never be removed.  His presence
will be missed by all those that have worked with him.  Most of all, I will
miss him as a friend. Best of Luck to you and your family Jack in all of your
future endeavors.

Jack  McDonald  Will  be missed  at DU