From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 11:11:09 EST
>Posted on 4 Jan 1995 at 20:02:44 by Darren A. Saletta
>
>UPenn hockey
>
>Does anyone have any info on this mysterious hockey program that was at one tim
>D-1 ?

The University of Pennsylvania dropped its hockey program after the
1977-78 season. Although Penn had three good seasons in the early 1970s
(it made the playoffs in 1971, 72 and 73, when making the playoffs            .
still meant something - only eight of the seventeen or eighteen ECAC
Division-1 schools made the playoffs), it was never a powerhouse.
By the mid 1970s the hockey program had become pretty bad, and
Penn was always near the bottom of the ECAC. As a student at Brown
in the mid to late seventies, I remember some very one-sided games
between Brown and Penn.

Nevertheless, I was surprised when Penn dropped hockey after the 1977-78
season, because the program had shown signs of improvement. In fact,
several players on the 1977-78 team transferred to other Division-1
schools and had successful college careers there.

Personally, I'd love to see the University of Pennsylvania revive its
hockey program, especially because of the natural rivalry with the
other Ivy League universities.

Luiz F. Valente