From:
Jill Maser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 09:14:01 -0500
Penn (NOT UPenn) has been maintaining a club hockey team since the varsity
program folded after the 77-78 season.

I've seen this club spiral downward since then.

Naturally, in the first few seasons after the cut, the club was pretty
good!  Several of the players remained at Penn to complete their degree.
After they graduated, the interest waned a bit.  But I didn't see a real
change till '89.  The last of the dedicated captains graduated.

There seemed to be a glimmer of hope this season.  A new coach, dedicated
to making the club a *team* arrived.  He worked very hard to get some
external funding, increase publicity, get kids interested in playing, and
he tried to teach them.

They've won one game this season (beating Drexel of all teams).  Their
coach (who is unpaid, by the way)  quit when it finally sunk in that these
kids didn't give a damn.

The kids (for the most part) don't work hard.  They think they're the creme
de la creme because they might have played on the first line in high
school.  They're not in shape.  Their goalies are sieves and receive no
coaching.  (hey!  here's an opportunity for me)

Bitter?  Cynical?  Who, me?  :-)

It's a damn shame.

Jill Maser
Penn '82