From:
Jim Comeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 01:14:35 -0500
> I don't see any reason why a highly recruited young man would go to BU. If
> you can't get into an ivy league school you should at least go to BC. I
> would rather go to a div. III school than go to BU the perrenial steakhead
> goon and little rich kid school.

I would normally not respond to something like this in public (I'd stick to
privately e-mail) but since there is the possiblity (a very great one, I may
add) that you have offended a great number of people I want to respond here
and ask for an apology. I don't even care about the hockey aspect -- as far as
I'm concerned hockey is a game and always be a game. It's not life or death,
it's just a pastime.

If you would rather go to "a div. III school" for those reasons then I truly
feel sorry for you, as you have no idea what BU is all abouit and what
opportunities exist here in terms of academics. I would hope that any student
would take into account the 'total package' offered by a school, and this
includes hockey players. Maybe they realize that there's more that BU can
offer than just hockey, no?

But as for calling BU a "little rich kid school" ... well, I take exception to
this. I consider myself very lucky to be at BU. If not for the great financial
aid package they offered me, I wouldn't be here. And, I may add, I'm not the
only one. A great many of the students here are like myself -- we've saved
up here and there, have some kind of employment to compliment schoolwork, and
have taken out *major* loans to attend this university IN ADDITION to financial
aid. BU is expensive, yes, but just because we go here doesn't mean we can
all afford it easily. Yes, BU is a large school and there are some very
well-off students, but we are not all as you would think, and as far as I'm
concerned I'd rather go to Boston University than to a school where students
feel the need to put down other institutions and their students due to
stereotypes based on a foundation of misinformation.

Mr. Holmes, I hope that you weren't thinking when you wrote that letter, and
that you realize what you said was very rude and inconsiderate. To all others
on this list, I apologize for taking up your time and space, but I felt it was
necessary to stop any BU-bashing (which could lead to other school bashing,
though I think the great majority of those on this list are above that)
in the early stages.

On with the hockey ...

Jim Comeau