From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 11:33:54 -0500
WYOMING
The 1989-90 DivI College Hockey Record Manual has a section called
"NC$$ Regional Hockey Records", which pre-dates the WCHA (which began
in 1951 as the MIHL).  From 1947-48 through 1950-51, there are
standings for "NC$$ West Division I".  Wyoming is included in 1950-51
with an NC$$ West Varsity record of 0-4-0, overall 6-8-0.  I presume
West Varsity record includes games played against any of the other
teams listed, which were: Colorado College, Denver, Michigan, Michigan
State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota, and North Dakota.  Quite a road trip
for that Wyoming team. :-)

As the listings of Western Standings go back through 1919, there are
schools listed such as Southern California, UCLA, Marquette, Rice,
Illinois, Gonzaga, and California.  But since 1947-48 - the beginning
of the "modern" era of NC$$ hockey - only California and Wyoming are
listed in the NC$$ West Division I standings.

OHIO UNIVERSITY
In the same record book, Ohio was classified as an Independent from
1958-59 through 1970-71.  Ohio then competed as a member of the CCHA
for two seasons, 1971-72 & 1972-73.

It is interesting to note that 2 of the 4 teams from the original CCHA
(also St Louis) were gone within 7 years.  Yet by that time, the
conference had grown to include other members such as Lake Superior,
Western Michigan, and Northern Michigan.

WHERE HAVE YOU GONE, JOE BERTAGNA
Andrew Rapoff asked about Joe Bertagna...he is quite a busy guy and
everyone in the East, at least, knows Joe.  Director of ECAC Hockey,
Providence (AHL) goalie coach, possibly also Harvard goalie coach, and
who knows what else - I believe he is involved in the Beanpot, too.
He has served as goalie coach for the Boston Bruins in the past,
although I don't know if he still does this.  And I thought I was
busy. :-)