From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert L. Dunn
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 13:05:15 -0500
On Thu, 3 Nov 1994, John W. Davis wrote:

>A lot of times sports writers don't have the best information regarding
>all the teams.  This is especially relevent in hockey, which is a
>regional sport.  That's why I think that the coaches poll is a better
>poll (and it's those types that I usually look for).

I tend to disagree with this philosophy.  Not that I hold the writer's
polls, or anyone else's for that matter, in high esteem.  But a coach is
generally so focused on their own team and their upcoming opponents that
they are not able to evaluate every team.  Instead, they probably tend to
vote for teams that looked impressive against them or according to word
of mouth.  At least some writers cover more than one team and have a
chance to see a variety of teams play.

* Robb Dunn                         University of Michigan *
* Project Administrator                   Sport Facilities *
*                                      Research Laboratory *
* [log in to unmask]            Cal '93, Michigan '94 and '97 *