From:
Joe Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 09:22:28 -0500
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               PC-Maine Brawl
From Ron Corriea:

>Back before Hockey East was formed, Maine and Providence
>had a knock down dragout fight that would have been deemed
>violent in the NHL.  It was thefirst year that Maine was
>in Division I.  I don't remember all the details, but at
>least 5 players from each team recieved game misconducts.
>It was a gem of a fight!  About the only bench emptier I've
>seen (during a game - this was the second period) in college
>hockey.  Anyone remember this 15 rounder at Schneider Arena?

>-- Ron

I remember it vividly, having had a great view from Section S
at Schneider Arena.  It was March 2, 1981; the Friars won the
game 12-4.  It was actually Maine's second Division I season,
the fourth year of the program's existence.  It started when
a Maine forward named John Tortarella flattened Friar
defenseman Scot Kleindendorst, from behind, after a whistle.
Unfortunately for Tortarella, Kleinendorst was standing right
in front of the Providence bench.  He was immediately set
upon by the whole Friar team.  The Maine bench quickly
emptied, too and practically every player was involved.  My
clearest memory is of the normally mild-mannered Randy
Veliscek, a Friar defenseman who had a solid NHL career,
pummeling one Black Bear after another.

Scot Kleinendorst also played in the NHL.  His brother, Kurt,
is an assistant coach with San Diego in the IHL.  Kurt was
rumored as a possible replacement for Mike McShane during the
summer.  John Tortarella is an assistant coach with the
Buffalo Sabres.  His brother, Jim, is an assistant at Colby
Jim Tortarella, a Maine goalie who scored a goal earlier in
that 80-81 season, was on the UNH staff last year.

The fight happened in PC's last regular season game that
year.  Several players received game misconducts as a result
of the fight, so the Friars were short-handed for their first
ECAC playoff game against New Hampshire, on the road.  For
some reason, the number 13 sticks in my head in terms of the
number of skaters who played against UNH.  PC beat UNH (in
overtime?) on its way to the ECAC championship.  That season
also featured the memorable semifinal win over Clarkson,
when Providence scored twice in the last minute (S.
Kleinendorst and Dan Miele) to force OT.  Steve Anderson
scored in sudden-death.

Thanks for the chance to re-live the good old days of Friar
hockey.