From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 1994 13:30:52 -0400
Steve Weisfeldt wrote:
>Am I wrong?  The NESN commentators and this morning's Boston Globe said
>that both the NCAA records AND HE records get a tie for both teams, but
>the shootout winner gets the extra point in HE standings.  I.e.  NU: 0-0-1
>(2 pt), ME: 0-0-1 (1 pt).  What's the deal here?  If both teams in fact
>get a tie, and the shoutout is only for an extra point, then I think I'm
>even more against shootouts than I was before!

Well, however you record it, a shootout is only for one extra point. The
winning team will end up with 2 points, the loser with 1.

That being said, it looks like Hockey East is handling shootouts the same
way that they are done in my league. In the Central Jr. Hockey League,
a team gets a point for a loss in overtime or a shootout. A shootout is
handled like this: Each team gets credit for a tie (and one point) in the
standings. The winning team is awarded a "Bonus Point". It is a bit
confusing to have games listed as ties, when there actually was a winner.
OTOH, I think that is the easiest way to get around the question of
how to report records for NC$$ purposes.

>Both NESN commentators said they LOVED the idea of a shootout as well as
>all three Boston sportscasters on the 11 pm news.  Guess I'm in the
>minority again!

Of course the sportscasters like it, the shootout creates highlights for
lazy people.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards          Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (7-5-1 15pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV            Owner: Ottawa Polar Bears (WIFFL) (6-2)