From:
Rick Scero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 10:50:05 EDT
*Message:
From: SCERO at OLEC
Date: 10/19/94 10:35AM
To: INTERNET:[log in to unmask] at OCF_INFORM
Subject: Re: tossing on faceoffs
Contents:

Matt ask,
>> ok, i went to the BU-UNB game this weekend, and it was great to be
>> watching college hockey again.  but it also rekindled an old question of
>> mine.  why do refs toss players from the faceoff circle?  sometimes they
>> fake like they are going to drop the puck and the guys dive in and then
>> the ref will make one of them switch with another player.  or maybe the
>> linesman will make them change.  i really don't get the ruling om that.
>> thanks.

According to the rules each player must stand squarely up ice with the entire
blade of their stick on the white half-moon of the face-off circle.  Now we all
know this is not always the case, as players will always see how far then can
bend the rules to get the advantage. We (the referees) know and accept this.
What we do is try to keep the face-off as fair as possible. If, after
instructing a player to re-position either their body or their stick, they
refuse to do so, they get tossed. Another reason for tossing the player is an
over aggressive center who makes contact with the opponent prior to the puck
being dropped.  In addition, centers are now tossed when their teammates
encroach inside the face-off circle prior to the puck being dropped.

As for the referees faking the drop.  If you have ever been rapped across the
knuckles with a hockey stick by a center (and believe me, these guys are fast
enough to do it), you would know that moving your hand in a manner which suggest
you are going to drop the puck is "not" something you fake.

Rick