Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 91 09:03:54 EST
 I AM FORWARDING THIS NOTE FROM SHARI AS SHE IS HAVING MAILING TROUBLE AT HER
 END!---Carol White.
 *** Forwarding note from SMTP    --UMINN1   04/03/91 14:18 ***
 Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 11:08:36 2359
 To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

 Hi again,

 I appreciate your assitance in getting me to the list! Here's the article
 I tried to send on Monday (and Tuesday, and Wednesday...)

 WOW! Is it over yet?!!!

 Before the game started, my husband Dan said "I want to see an
 overtime game, so we can get our money's worth." How prophetic!
 This was like watching 3 different games. The first obviously
 went to BU, with the 2nd most definitely going to Northern. Then
 the third was Northern's, until about the 10 minute mark when BU
 took over. Then in the OT's, it was a free for all! I haven't seen
 so many hit pipes, and crossbars since the Harvard/Minnesota final
 in 1989. Both goalies were phenomenal at the end, especially Pye,
 with his dramatic save with only 1 second remaining in regulation.

 Enough rambling. Here's some 'tidbits' out of the St. Paul paper
 regarding the final game:

 Most likely .400 hitter: Ed Ronan, BU's senior right wing. Ronan's
 first goal in the final occurred when he was able to swat a waist-high
 flying puck out of the air, come in alone on Pye and drill a 20-foot
 shot. No wonder BU is so close to Fenway Park.

 Biggest BOO!: For some reason, the BU band played the Wisconsin
 (Budweiser) fight song at the championship game. Some red-clad
 Cheeseheaded spectators started doing the traditional Badgers' dance,
 and the Civic Center crowd booed throughout the playing of the tune.

 Record Breakers: Scott Beattie's first goal of the championship game,
 the one at 14:45 of the 2nd period, enabled him to break the
 NMU school record for goals in one season. It was Beattie's 46th.

 Doing it Again: Beattie's 3 goals in the title game was the 3rd hat
 trick of the season for the Wildcat's center. It was also the 3rd trick
 of the final four. In the semi's, both Roy of Maine, and Amonte of BU
 scored 3 times.

 Best back-to-back 1st periods: BU scored 5 times in its victory over
 Clarkson, and backed that up with 3 in the first 20 minutes against NMU.

 Best Genes: Tyler Mason Walsh, age 5 months, attended his first NCAA final
 4 and sat alternately on the laps of grandpa Ron Mason, head coach at
 Michigan State, and papa Shawn Walsh, the Maine coach. Mason denied
 speculation that Tyler is interested in the head coaching job at Northeastern!

 Lucky 6 Bingo: In the second period of the title game, NMU scored five goals,
 the sixth time the Wildcats have scored 5 or more goals in a period this
 season.

 TOTAL ATTENDANCE: 35,938 - including 12,564 at the finals.

 Other notes: Detroit and Joe Louis Arena reps were at the games hoping to land
 the 1994 final 4. But it's unlikely the NCAA will pick Detroit over St. Paul,
 who is also in the bidding. St. Paul will send a check for somewhere between
 $400,000 and $500,000 to the NCAA. Despite the absense of the Gophers, almost
 36,000 tickets were sold - compared to Joe Louis selling 28,000 at last year's
 tournament. St. Paul's break even mark was 10,500 full tournament tickets, and
 11,700 were sold.

 On mascots: I though the Clarkson mascot looked great in the pre-game warmups,
 what happened to him/her the rest of the game? I wish we would have had a
 mascot
 like that at my high school! (Also the Knights!). BU needs a tougher looking
 Terrier, this one looks pretty wimpy!

 Congrats to Dave Emma for winning the Hobey Baker award. Too bad that the
 final game went so long, and most papers went to press before the announcement
 was made.

 Finally - any truth to the rumor that 3 Maine players spent the night in a
 St. Paul jail after arguing/fighting with some NMU fans after their loss to
 the Cats?

 Thanks to all four teams for a great tourney. It lacked some excitement for
 me since the Gophers weren't there, but we saw some great games, and we
 certainly got our money's worth!!

 Until next year...

 GO GOPHERS!!
 shari

 Thanks Carol, and thanks for your great updates throughout the season.
 What's your prognostication for the Gophers next year? Losing big Ben
 will be tough. We need some more 'sniper' type goal scorers also. Any
 insights as to who will be invited to the Olympic tryouts? Any news is
 welcome!

 shari