From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 91 16:09:54 EST
    Amonte's deal was for three years, guaranteed money in excess of
    $1 million.  Signing bonus was undisclosed.  The contract includes an
    option for him to play with Team USA next year and in the Olympics.
    (Rangers probably see it as a way of getting him experience without
    paying for him to be in the minors.)  I don't know if he gets paid for
    that year.  Amonte joins former Thayer Academy linemate Jeremy Roenick
    (Chicago) in the NHL.

    The Boston Herald says that the Rangers agreed not to talk to Amonte
    until after the college season was over.  The contract talks took
    place in a St Paul hotel room at 2 am Sunday morning.  I guess the
    Rangers didn't want to waste any time.

    - mike