Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 19:12:10 -0400
Here are some thought, feel free to comment :

Forgive me, but I'll try to attribute excerpts as best as I can. It was
about two weeks ago that I heard from a friend at the campus newspaper
that Coach Powers had resigned. No more news was forthcoming until I heard
about the possibility of him going back to Bowling Green, as mentioned
on hockey-l. Then last night (7/11/94), the 11 PM news had reported that
Coach Powers was leaving. The Troy Record had an article on it today, and
th 6 PM news (CH. 13) said that 35 year old assistant Dan Fridgen would
shortly be named as the new head coach. The report also said that he was
a top assistant since 1989 and had done most of the recruiting. I thought
that there was trouble in Boston with 4 months to find a new coach, well,
now we've got even less than that.

Quoting Brian Morris :
"RPI athletic dirctor Bob Ducatte is currently on vacation, so recruitment
for a new coach will not commence until next week. Croce speculates that
current assistant coach Dan Fridgen is an early favorite to replace Powers."

This would seem to be confirmed by the 6 PM news report, HOWEVER, they
did not say that it was a done deal, just that it looked highly probable.

Quoting Jayson Moy :
"As for the decision of the next head coach, do not look for Dan Fridgen
to be the next head coach of the ENgineers.  The RPI athletic department
here is very bitter at people leaving, and will take it out on "left
over" people."

What is the likelyhood of this? I can see Fridgen as a replacement for the
season while RPI does a search. Unless they wrap it up fast, there isn't
much more time. If RPI wants to take more time, then promoting Fridgen
while they do the search may be a good idea.

Someone else mentioned that the players (I think Jayson) were mostly unaware
of what was going on. So to was the campus. The only info I got was from
hockey-l, though, in the summer, RPI, for the most part is asleep. Another
individual I spoke with mentioned that the RPI move to Hockey East was
decided almost two months ago, and that it was tied to Buddy staying at
RPI. This is interesting, because unless I missed it, I don't seem to
recall that. The last I knew, the group that was to look into it STILL
had not made a decision. Can anyone correct my misassumptions and give me
some more info?

I can't wait for the year to resume, because I know a lot of people are
going to be thrown for a loop when they return to campus with all the changes
that have happened at RPI this summer.

Nazman